Friday, April 15, 2011

Thien Thanh

I left Thien Thanh disappointed. While it could have just been the dish I ordered, I don't think I will be heading back to Thien Thanh anytime soon.

I ordered the hu tieu dac biet. Hu tieu is a vermicelli rice noodle soup and dac biet just means that it is a combination soup. It comes with all of the available proteins: shrimp, squid, pork meat, pork heart, pork liver, and eggs.


The soup broth had a taste reminiscent of ramen noodles from my high school days. Overall, there was not a strong flavor in anything, and it was just sort of bland the whole way through. The one exception was the strong taste of celery.

The pork meat was a little overdone. The eggs consisted of one quail egg softboiled. It was tasty and interesting when it popped in my mouth and let out the runny yolk. The shrimp and squid were okay. I am not sure which component the pork heart and liver were or if they were even present. There were some unidentified protein bits in my soup that could have been them, but the bits looked more like the meatballs you usually find in pho. Whatever they were, they were slightly odd tasting but good.

Other than the lack of any distinctive or appealing flavor, the one thing that struck me about the dish was the stinginess with the proteins. There was one egg, two shrimp, maybe two or three pieces of squid, and a small portion of pork meat. You can easily go to a different Vietnamese restuarant on Buford Highway, or anywhere else, order a bowl of pho and receive a generous helping of protein.

The best thing about Thien Thanh may be the cheesy Vietnamese karaoke videos playing on the giant screen in the center of the restaurant.

My final verdict would be to take a pass on Thien Thanh. At the very least, put it down at the bottom of your list and give it a try after you sample all of the popular Vietnamese restaurants on Buford Highway. I was excited to try a new, odd Vietnamese dish, but I was let down. Be wary of suffering the same fate.

Thien Thanh
5219 Buford Highway
Doraville, GA 30340
770-676-0512


Thien Thanh on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment