Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sawicki's

We had sandwhiches at Sawicki's for lunch last weekend. Scoutmob got me in the door, but the sandwiches may bring me back. While I was not blown away, the sandwiches were fairly good.

I had the Italian sandwich.

The Italian runs $7.25 and, per the menu, contains "Genoa salami, hot soppressata, finocchiona, fontina cheese, field greens, tomato, hot giardiniera (a vegetable relish) and salsa verde on ciabtta." Soppressata is a form of salami, a dried cured pork sausage. Finocchiona is another variety of salami. The soppressata was quite hot and gave the sandwich a nice spiceness. The sandwich was spicy, salty, sour, and sweet. The giardiniera gave it sourness and saltiness. Giardiniera consists of pickled vegetables. The meats were salty, and the soppressata was spicy as mentioned before. The tomatoes were juicy and slightly sweet. Overall, a very tasty sandwich. My only complaint was that the bread was a little too chewy.

My wife had the Mediterranean sandwich.

Again, per the menu, the Mediterannean consists of "chicken, hummus, tomato, field greens and salsa verde on ciabatta" and runs $8.00. Both my wife and I thought that the chicken was juicy and flavorful. I liked the mix of all the flavors and liked the sandwich. It tasted very fresh. My wife liked it but thought that it was a little dry and could use more hummus. Again, the bread was a little too chewy which made it hard to eat.

A funny sidenote, Sawicki's is a tight space. It is especially tight when filled to the brim with people. While we were there, two, not one but two, nimrod fathers thought it would be a good idea to wheel their baby stroller all the way through the restaurant. I am talking about a double wide running stroller. People had to move and tables were moved just so he could get in line. Fortunately, we had left before he finished ordering and had to conduct his exit manuvers. While I understand that you can't leave your children outside unattended, both fathers were accompanied by their wives. The father or mother should order while the other waits outside or at a table. If you are going to bring a stroller then sit near the window and watch it outside or buy a bike lock for the thing. Don't be that obnoxious guy trying to push it through the restaurant. You look stupid and you annoy everyone else. End of rant.

Sawicki's gets my usual, "good, but not amazing." The prices are a little high for a sandwich, but the ingredients are top quality and the taste is fresh and satisfying. If you are in the area, need lunch, and have been to Farmburger and Taqueria del Sol on numerous occasions, then stop in at Sawicki's and give it a try.

Sawicki's also has a wide selection of local, sustainable produce, meats, and cheeses. As you may know from previous posts, I am a strong supporter of local and sustainable. However, I am not quite sure when I will be able to afford tenderloin for $37 per pound.

Sawicki's Meat Seafood and More
250 West Ponce De Leon Ave.
Decatur, GA 30030
404-377-0992
http://www.sawickisfoods.com/

Sawicki's Meat Seafood and More on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment