Friday, April 15, 2011

Little Paul Gibson's BBQ

Good, but not amazing. (For amazing, see my post on Po' Pigs Bo-b-q on Edisto Island, South Carolina.) The restaurant is no frills, almost like eating in some one's living room.

The barbecue is cooked well, is moist, and falls apart easily.

It had a lightly smoked taste. It is pulled and then chopped lightly. It is not the super-fine chop you see at some places but more of a medium chop. The barbecue came with a small thing of vinegar sauce which was a little spicy, but over top of the barbecue it was nice.

The tomato based sauce available at the table was very sweet with a little kick. It was too sweet for my taste and was not my favorite.

The baked beans are a little spicy with pork, peppers, and onions in them. They have a taste that I can still not figure out and which I also am still not sure if I like or not. I think it must be some spice that makes them taste a little odd. The cornbread was hard as a brick and dry to the center. It was what my father-in-law calls a "window breaker." I tried it anyways and the taste was decent, but there was no way I was going to take more than a nibble of something that hard and dry. In Little Paul's defense, we did come in after the peak lunch hours (around 2:30) and the cornbread could have dried by then. But if the bread has dried you shouldn't serve it to your customers. The creamy coleslaw was good but not really distinguishable from the creamy coleslaw you find anywhere else. The sweet tea was decent, although a little on the sweet side.

The only other problem was that the small "slow roasted Southern style pulled pork plate" I ordered came with a rather small portion of the barbecue and two sides for the $6.45 price. I'm sure the restaurant can charge almost anything it wants due to its prime real estate across from the hospital, but I expect a little more for the money.

Finally, I am told that the lemon meringue pie was excellent.

However, I did not get a chance to sample it as my father-in-law finished it off in record time.

Little Paul Gibson's Barbecue
815 Madison St. SE
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-536-7227

Little Pauls Barbecue on Urbanspoon

Little Paul's Barbecue on Restaurantica

No comments:

Post a Comment